Friday, January 11, 2019

Santa Barbara

I'm not happy about skipping Kimball, but I did, so shoot me.
After my food and drink debauch of Wednesday, I didn't feel like breakfast, so I skipped that, too. Got ready and walked to the city bus stop and rode to the mall. Caught the Santa Barbara bus there right on time and for only a buck fifty--although I was told that goes up a quarter on Monday, still a bargain.
Got off at the SB County Courthouse and asked somebody which direction I should walk to get the the streets where the SB city bus stopped. It was three blocks away and I started toward it, but then asked somebody else and he told me the bus station was only a block after that. I got there and  was delighted to be told what bus to take (number 3) and even more delighted that it was just about to pull out. I got on and wow, it didn't just go to State and Hitchcock, which I wouldn't have minded, either, but turned down Hitchcock and had a bus stop directly in front of Betty's apartment!
I knew she and Carolyn were getting mammograms, but I called her to tell her I was in.  I just hung out and strolled around until she and Carolyn pulled up. C. said hello, then had to go home to work and Betty and I went up to her place.
We hung out, talked, then went down the street to the Natural Cafe for lunch and both got chili. Went back to her place and, as I declined  playing Scrabble, played gin. Betty won, which considering her wearisome competitiveness, thrilled her. But it called up our childhood differences and that bothered me. I didn't express it, though, nor should I have.
Betty walked me to the bus stop on State and I got the number 6 bus which, glory be,took me directly to the courthouse, where I was to get the Ventura bus/* A woman on the street, who seemed to have extreme osteoporosis, and was deranged besides, was acting very strangely. I don't mean she was a menace to the community, only to herself, so I called 911. She had walked--or staggered--down the street while I was talking, and about then minutes, a gigantic fire truck with hook and ladder, the biggest I've ever seen, drove up and three men jumped off. They went down after her and shortly, an ambulance pulled up. I assume they took her to the hospital.
My bus came exactly on time (3:45) and I enjoyed the ride to Ventura. Because I had missed most of my walk during the day, I got off in town, walked about a mile, then hopped on a city bus. By the time I got off, it was full dark, but no prob.
Nice day, but not entirely. I'm glad to be home.
*For my own future reference: I can take either the 6 or the 11 bus back to the Courthouse.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...