Sunday, January 13, 2019

Birthday Party

Well, the rain didn't spoil the party, but it again prevented me from walking Kimball. After breakfast, though, I made up for it by driving to The Promanade and walking to the Crown Plaza and back; probably two miles.
Suzanne stopped in to tell me she had passed her driver (written) test, which was a great relief, I know. She  also got her I.D., which will allow her to fly--something I need to look into soon.
Jumped in the shower, washed my hair, and changed. The van came early, about 1:15, but had to pick up somebody else in town after me, which was fine because I didn't want to be too early. Got there just abut two and met Lewis, the birthday boy, his and Sharon's daughters, sons, grandchildren, great-grands, siblings, cousins, neighbors, friends, and, I believe,three-quarters of the population of southern California--it was great fun!
Lots of delicious, calorie-laden food and every drink imaginable (I had both Flat Tire Ale and red wine) were set out haphazardly on the table, counters, stove, and other handy flat surfaces. There was fried chicken, roast beef, barbecued ribs, chili, macaroni and cheese, corn and onion rolls and muffins, cheese and crackers, boiled potatoes, and lots of other goodies. I went back for thirds, then topped it off with the birthday cake, a standard bakery sheet cake, ninety-percent sugar and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Lewis, the birthday boy, turned out to be a great guy. I had fun talking to him and to his many relatives. They are African-American and Sharon is white, so their children and other descendants are a pleasing mix. Party-goers were also a mix, as Lewis is an avid pool players and many of his pool friends are white. Carolyn and Luisa from T.O.P.S., who had both been one of my acting students (as had Sharon) were too, and we enjoyed each other.
Anyway, I was sorry to leave at 4:00 when the van got there,. but didn't want to keep the driver waiting. It started to rain again just before I got home, but when I did, I put on my boots, grabbed my umbrella, and took a turn around the block.
Today lunch with Jim and Char.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...