Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Noreen And Toastmasters

Another good day. After the usual in the morning, I tidied up a bit, then left to meet Noreen at the Blue Agave at 12:30.
We sat in the enclosed outdoor area--very pleasant--and both got two types of enchiladas, chicken and spinach. I got a Stella A., and told the waiter to put an orange slice on the rim. He did and since they're both Belgian ales, I can't tell the difference from Blue Moon.
Noreen and I had a good time getting to know each other and stayed talking for almost two hours. The plan had been that I'd go with her to Dudley House to see if she could manage the eight stairs. However, she said she could barely go down four stairs a few weeks ago and we decided it just wasn't any reason to try, she just couldn't do it. Okay, that scratches that, I guess, so Toastmasters will have to look for another place.
Said goodbye to Noreen and continued on to the library. I was reading when Nancy called to say The Great Showman was at the town movie; did I want to go today, then to the Blue Agave for our wine and nibbles?  Sure, why not, and we'll meet at the Downtown Regency at 12:30.
Stopped at Mimi's on the way home, as Noreen had mentioned the possibility of their meeting room. I talked to the manager and saw the room, but it's very large, would not be private, so it's entirely unsuitable. That's it for me--I have no more ideas for a meeting place.
Home, I just had sketchy dinner--golden beets and watermelon, the prepared for the Zoom Toastmasters virtual meeting. (Damn, this outfit is taking over my life.)  For the other Toastmasters, Humor & Drama, I found a funny "letter to the dogs and cats" on Facebook. Think I'll bring to the next meeting, recite it, then give it to Annette, who talked about being evacuated during the fire with her three dogs, three cats, and two birds.
I did my "Emily" talk and it went over well. I told the group about the problem for Noreen with Dudley House (stairs) and was more or less commandeered to contact Trinity Lutheran to see if it's feasible for us to meet there. Will do.
Note: The above, of course, was what went on with me on Monday. Today, Tuesday, I'm writing this after just getting up--at 9:05!  I awoke and got up for the usual, I guess about 2:00 am, and could not get back to sleep. Tossed and turned, as the saying goes, and it must have been hours before I dozed off for a time. Geez, I'm not sure if I should skip breakfast and just have an early lunch or what. I'm meeting Nancy at 12:30, so will have to wing it.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Retirement communities such as where I am in NJ have a not for profit status and they must show evidence of charitable activitiy etc. We let the Y folks come here to use our pool as one of our charitable activities. I'm not sure places advertise they are not fo profit status, but many are looking to have folks e.g. Rotary etc use the community rooms. Just a thought.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat. The other Toastmasters group I'm in--Humor & Drama--does meet at an independent/assisted living facility, The Lexington. I think other members have checked out similar places for this group (Poinsettia Toastmasters). All the organizations around here have the same problem of where to meet.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...