Thursday, March 08, 2018

Masa Sushi With Diane

Full day again. Walking Kimball, I met up (as usual) with Irene and Diane; latter said she liked the movie, too. Driving home, I was amused to see a license plate on a pickup truck that started with a waving hand, then read "OSILVR." Get it? "Hi (y)o Silver." Cute, sez I.
Off to WinCo after breakfast for blueberries, spinach, and swai. Showered and washed hair, then set off for town about 11:30. Parked at the museum, walked to the library, and read until 12:15, when I set off to meet Diane. I actually saw her walking ahead of me--she had been in the library when I was, but we didn't see each other.
Went to Masa Sushi right across Main Street and what a neat place. Our waiter, an adorable kid named Andy, said he was part Japanese, part Vietnamese. When I told him how long my son had lived in Tokyo and that I had been to both places, we had a good talk.  Diane has also been to Japan, as well as many other places around the world, so we chatted happily.  Soon, a waitress, a very nice  young woman, joined our conversation. It was great fun and we were all  in a buoyant mood.
Ordered and got a wonderful  array of sushi, broiled salmon, salad (they seem to throw this in for Americans, as it isn't the usual in Japan), and other good stuff. Diane and I both had Sapporo, Japanese beer--very good, but no different from beer here. Anyway, we had a ball.
Diane is a Unitarian--Zeus knows why.  Good grief, if you're going to be religious, join a religion; if you're not, don't. I can never understand what people see in Unitarianism--just seems silly to me. However, Diane is in all kinds of "peace" groups connected to that organization, some spurious, it seems to me, but hey, it's better than aggression groups, I guess.
After we ate, Diane invited me across the street to see her--well, it's called a studio apartment--in other words, a single room. It's actually smaller than my bedroom, but she has it reasonably nicely arranged with a kind of sofa/bed, a table, and some chairs. There's a shower and toilet in an adjoining very small room,; the sink is in the "bedroom" and serves for washing hands, dishes, and everything else. She has a small refrigerator and a microwave, too, but aside from that, not much else, as nothing else would fit.  Diane pays $600 a month for this; I didn't ask, but I assume she doesn't have to cover heat or electricity.  Anyway, it was interesting to see.
Said goodbye and drove home, stopping to get St. Patrick's Day cards for the kiddies. Met Suzanne and Don when I drove into my spot and chatted with them for a bit. Suzanne asked me in to see her fellow nun's weaving work: an interestingly patterned dish towel and a beautiful, pale lavender scarf.
Wrote out the cards for the three children in Asia and drove to the P.O. for stamps and to send them off.  From there, I went to Grocery Outlet, just because I felt like not being home. Didn't  get anything but some small sweet peppers.

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...