Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Tuesday

I debated with myself whether to change the bed or not, but decided to wait. After I showered and had breakfast, I scrubbed the counter tops in the kitchen, something I've been putting off for too long. After, I called Muckie--I hadn't spoken to her for two months or so--and we had a long talk. Her grandsons will be visiting for a week from Michigan, so she's looking forward to that. She gets the pancreatic cancer check every few months and that's coming up before too long. 

Packed my lunch and readied myself for Uber (courtesy of my SCAN insurance) to pick me up. When I called to schedule the ride, I emphasized the pickup being in the front, since I've had problems with having them go to a different entrance in the past. Went out to wait about 12:15, as the pickup was for 1:00 and, incredibly, the same thing happened! I had to call the guy, David, to tell him he was at the wrong location--AAGH! I'm definitely going to make a lot of noise about this.

Got to HEARUSA, gave Amanda my hearing aids (only the right one wasn't receiving) and was embarrassed to find the problem was wax. You can't really see it--at least, I can't--and I guess I got careless about brushing it anyway. Also, I had lost the tiny brush that comes with the aids and was using a toothbrush. It's working fine now and Amanda cleaned it and  gave me a new brush.  

From there, I bused to town and had a late (about 2:30) lunch in my spot across from the mission. It was very quiet, but pleasant. I looked in a few shops, then bused home. 

My pal, Vickie, had left four very long cucumbers from her friend's garden and I also had the cauliflower I had bought the other day. Feeling energetic, I then spent a fair amount of time on food prep. Decided to make crystal pickles with the cukes, but realized I had no onions except those in the freezer I had already diced. Ran over to Von's to get some, then used the mandolin to thin-slice them and the cukes. (I managed to slice my little finger on the device, too (bled like crazy), but I think I'll live.) I then prepared the cauliflower using my usual recipe: boil for four minutes, cover with a parm/mayo rub, sprinkle with garlic salt, and back for twenty minutes. 

Suzanne rang my bell (she still has her piggy-back COVID, so stood back) and gave me four small, but ready to eat, avocados. The pickle preparation has to be refrigerated for two hours before the sugar and vinegar are added, so I put that in, then had one of my peculiar dinners: About half the cauliflower and one of the avocados--vegan and good. 

El called later and we chatted. She's still in the process of getting her new insurance settled, so her bad knee, too. She and Greg had gone to the beach in Santa Barbara--not to swim, but to contemplate nature, it seems. Their relationship is on a different footing than it had been, but I'm glad they're still friends.   

I forgot to mention that when I was in town on Saturday, there was a kind of street fair and I saw this apron:

That's funny, but kind of gross, but I thought the tee-shirts in the back would be a cute thing to give Greg. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find it now. Maybe I'll look on line.


No comments:

Thursday

On my way to Von's in the morning, I stopped into Great Clips to see if Maria was available. She wasn't, so I decided to try later i...