Friday, July 05, 2024

Thursday

 A fun day! No, we didn't go to the parade or attend the fireworks, activities that are not high on my list of wanna-dos, anyway. After breakfast, Ellen suggested we take a short hike up in the hills. and off we went. Later, the temp would nudge a hundred, but in the morning, it was just pleasantly warm.in this lovely area:


The two of us--intrepid!

We sat for a bit to rest poor El's bad knee and here's Mimi:
Back at El's, she cleaned the grille and otherwise prepared for The Chef's arrival while I lazed around. Greg came after work and he and I went to Bart's Books (El passed), which I always enjoy. We were there for an hour or so, happily reading (I bought one on the Laci Peterson murder), then we drove the short distance to Greg's present home* to  drop something off. Back at El's, the two of them worked on dinner: he cooking, she setting the table and so on.

Oh, mama, was that good! The sea bass was just superb and the side dishes** were to die for. After that, we had one of our intense games of gin rummy. I'm trying to be modest here, but must proclaim that I won because of my consummate skill and unmatched card shark superiority--or maybe I was lucky. Anyway, it was great fun. We then said goodbye to Greg--I'll drop in to see him at the Rainbow Bridge one of these days--and settled down to watch first some fireworks at the Rose Bowl, then the ending of a 45- year-old Twilight Zone starring Howard Duff.

To bed and slept soundly. I leave today via the Access Van after a lovely, lovely time thanks to one of the people I love most in the world.

* Greg lives with the founder of The Rainbow Bridge, where he works--long story on which I won't elaborate.

** The sides: an artichoke dressing of the main course and a tomato/onion combination that sounds ordinary, but with Greg's addition of seasonings--he's a master of this, which can often make or break a meal-- was just wonderful.  

No comments:

Thursday

On my way to Von's in the morning, I stopped into Great Clips to see if Maria was available. She wasn't, so I decided to try later i...