Thursday, February 02, 2023

Wednesday And Historic Ventura County

Margarita picked me up at 9:15 for the BCNN meeting. With her was Ginny, whom I vaguely remember from Soaring Spirits. Got there for the usual coffee and schmoozing ahead of time. I was surprised when Sherry hailed me. I used to go to Dr. Woodle's talks with her, other places, and also to BCNN. When I joined BCNN the first time, I used to know Sherry well. Also saw Regina and Terry. The program was pretty goofy--a "haunted house" in Oxnard:

Huge--it has 18 rooms, it was built in 1914 by the Levy family, both of whom died there. A gay couple bought it a year or so ago and one of them was the speaker; he was actually pretty good and, maybe significantly, has some connections in show biz. The house was on a T.V. show I never heard of about ghosts and the guy showed video excerpts. It was mildly amusing, I guess, but I didn't buy it, as I'm just a hard-boiled cynic. 

Anyway, I was home by noon, packed a lunch, and walked to the Hill Street library branch to pick up the hike book. Went back to a nice area--grassy, shaded, nice chairs, tables, and umbrellas, ate my lunch, and looked over the book. I then walked to The Market for a few items. bused to the transit center, and caught the 10 home.   

Changed, packed up the crystal pickles, and went outside to wait for Jim. We got to Dudley House a little before the start time of 6:30, but had to wait until 7:00 to eat because president Shari and her husband, Ken, were late. While we were eating, niece Carolyn called just to chat; I told her I'd call her ack this morning. The program was entertaining: Richard Senate told us about ladies of the night and "victory girls" in historic Ventura--yes, prostitution flourished here and, no doubt, elsewhere. Here's Richard:
Connie K. brought Victorian hats and boas for ladies in the audience to wear and here, from left, are Carol, Connie, Deanna, and Lynne:
Didn't get home until after 9:00, shockingly late for me. Still stayed up to watch Netflix (the Windsor saga), but slept well and got up at 6:10, also shockingly late.

Today: dinner at 5:00 and the play at the college after with Diane. Tomorrow, Jasmine Thai, where-finally--Jim will treat me for my birthday. After, we'll go to his place and I'll bring the wine left over from former lunches. Does that sound provocative? Ha--that's a laugh and a half!

I know I'll have gained at T.O.P.S. tomorrow, considering my gadding about all week, but I'll take my lumps and if it kills me, I'll die happy.  

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...