Monday, February 13, 2023

Distressing Sunday

Changed the bed and did a white wash, did the crossword (a goodie), cleaned up a bit, then ran over to Von's for a few things. Made turkey breast sandwiches, devilled eggs, and crystal pickles for lunch. Suzanne rang my bell and I went over to see the flowers her family sent for her 75th, which was yesterday (the day after my Pat's, who would have been 92). They're gorgeous:

And so are the flowers on her patio:

Jim got here at his usual 12:30. Before we are, I showed him the components of my 2021 tax return. I was surprised that he had brought the page of the letter my accountant, Michelle sends out and which I had forwarded to him. I don't want to go into detail, but he took exception to something she had written, I disagreed, and we had a big argument about it. Finally, I called Michelle and she explained, but boy, it was annoying.

However, we calmed down during lunch--the wine helped, I'm sure--and after we ate, incredibly, we played Taboo. This is the game where you use clues to make the other player or player guess what the word is. The hook is that you can't use certain words, i.e., if the word is "octopus," you can't use "tentacle," "ocean," and and so on. Anyway, it was hardly a barrel of laughs--it's a lot more fun with more people, but it was mildly amusing and Jim seemed to enjoy it as much as he does anything.

And now this:

I got disturbing news from Jersey. I had PMed two of my friends in the Little Egg Theater Company (LETCO), asking for information on the dinner theatres we used to do. Tara K. wrote back that they hadn't done them for some time, but she gave me some advice Fractured Actors might consider. Tara had directed me in Hedda Gabler and we had been in several shows together. I also got in touch with Trish O., with whom I had appeared in Listen to This! Trish is really good--lots of energy and humor in her performances. She's in her middle fifties, I guess, and I think she was a big asset to LETCO. 

That's where the disturbing news comes in: Trish wrote, "In January, 2022, auditions for the next show were announced. It was also announced that unvaccinated people could not participate in any way...this decision was made [by Jim and Mary H., who are president and vice of LETCO]...without the input of the board of trustees." Both Trish and Tara refused to be vaccinated, yet Tara was later permitted back into the company. 

I feel bad about this and I'm conflicted about it. I am thoroughly vaccinated and I find it hard to understand those who believe more in social media pronouncements than scientists. Certainly, the H.'es do, too: Jim is a doctor and Mary on the faculty of Weidner University, teaching nursing. So yes, they're invested in medicine. But I'm certain they wouldn't insist on vaccination if they thought it was anything but beneficial. I feel so sorry for Trish, though, as she wrote that "Tara and Julie have gone back to the group after a year of tears, confusion, anger, and hurt. I have chosen to cut ties. This personal betrayal cut deeply. No apology was attempted...."    

Damn, human interactions can be so hurtful. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...