Friday, February 24, 2023

Thursday And Bullshit

Got the weekly or so pile of filing done (one of these days, I'll go through the filing cabinet and discard). Went over to Von's for salmon and otherwise occupied myself--don't even remember exactly how, except that I'm happily reading this terrific new book by British chef Anthony Warner:

He goes into all kinds of health and diet fads, including toxin-cleansing, the paleo, the Atkins, the grapefruit, the cabbage, and Gwyneth Paltrow. He lambasts most of them and I'm still only half way through the book. Great fun to read and refreshing to find somebody who doesn't instantly agree with all the phony gurus out there. 

The Access Van picked me up very early--2:50 for my 4:00 appointment, although Primary Medicine is  only twenty minutes away. So I got there early, but Dr. L. took me early confirmed what the daughter diagnoses was: arthritis. She said icing the knee is good and so is walking (yay!); she also recommended turmeric every day. This was a surprise, but before I got home (cancelled the Access Van and took the bus), I stopped at Von's and bought some. (I'll be looking it up to be sure it isn't some cockamamie notion from which even doctors aren't immune.) I had a nice piece of salmon, which I baked with olive oil and turmeric for dinner; not bad. 

I like Dr. L. so much. She's young--like Dr. F., she looks like a twenty-year-old coed, but I guess they all do--and, aside from the annoying medical news, we chatted about movies we like and other topics. She remembered I'm into acting and that was flattering. She contacted Rolling Oaks Radiology so I can make an appointment for an x-ray, but said it wasn't necessary unless the condition worsened.   

BTW, I was taken aback to hear I have arthritis. I'm so unused to having anything wrong with me, it came as a shock. However, now that I know it isn't a blood clot that will travel to my brain and kill me, I'm reconciled. 

Got up to see that the predicted rain is here, so I'll be stuck inside after T.O.P.S. Guess I'll have to do something practical for a change--AAGH!  😜

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Most people develop osteoarthritis due to wear and tear on joints. You're a latecomer. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and will probably help over time. Ice is your friend.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...