Saturday, February 18, 2023

Festive Friday

Why festive? Because I followed through with my new resolve and at home, was down two pounds. That was nothin' though, when I saw the result at T.O.P.S.: a 3.7 loss, to 128.4 YAY! 

Diane and I had planned to meet near O'Leary's and eat our lunches there, but she texted me early that it was cold and very windy. She suggested instead I go to her place and she'd make lunch, and I agreed. Home from T.O.P.S. at 10:00, I had breakfast, then prepared to go to Diane's. I had intended to walk to Telephone, then take the 11 to Petit, but it was so windy, I hopped on the 6 to Telephone first. Got there, as planned, at 12:30. 

Diane had made salad, fried rice, and apple something; all very good. I had brought my beer, and after, we both had Chardonnay while we talked and talked and talked. We don't agree on everything--Diane has a great interest and belief in all kinds of supernatural, pseudo-science topics, which she insists had been "proven," but I don't share them. However, although we disagree, we conversed without animosity. Incredibly, I didn't leave until almost 4:00 after also hashing over our childhoods, marriages, love life histories, her years in Mexico, and the Dionne quintuplets, among much else.    

I thought I'd call Jim and invite him for lunch today, but I might hold off: call him tonight and have him over tomorrow. Not sure--maybe I should consult one of Diane's psychics for advice 😁.

The pieces below are by granddaughter, Violet. She's only 14 and I think they're evidence that she may have inherited her designer/artist mother ability.  The first is batik, which involves using wax and dye on fabrics (Thailand is especially well-known for this technique); I love the delicate rendering of the flowers. The second seems to me pretty powerful; Violet hand-painted the rat's head.

I haven't asked Violet, but I think the montage could be interpreted as a commentary on the corruption of the media. According to polls, fewer and fewer people trust what they're fed concerning the news--in print, on television, and on the Internet. Hmm...I wonder why.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Your granddaughter shows major talent. I love her rendering.
We had two Batiks Rich brought back from Japan when they lived there. I think I gave them to his daughter...darn.

Mimi said...

I have a tablecloth and napkins from Thailand my mother brought back years ago when my brother lived there. Always liked it and batik.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...