Saturday, February 04, 2023

Fraternal Friday

Wonder of wonders, I stayed the same at home (130.6) at actually lost a smidgen (.07) at T.O.P.S. to 130 even. The meeting was visited by "county advocate" Kim, a young woman who is considerably overweight, but has lost twenty pounds in the last few months. She told us about the struggles of herself and her husband: His top weight had been 500 pounds. He lost close to three hundred of it, then gained much of it back, but is now losing again. I don't think anyone who hasn't gone on that all-too-common journey can quite understand that, but I can.  

Home, and I just had a half-grapefruit for breakfast, then took a brief nap. Up at noon, prepared, then went out to meet Jim at the parking lot. We drove to Jasmine Thai, I had pad Thai and a Sapporo, Jim  some kind of curry dish and brown rice; we both had plenty left to take home for dinner. 

We then drove to Jim's where he poured the Purple Moon wine I had brought and we sipped that while we conversed. He drove me back and shortly after, James C. called to tell me he had moved his brother, Benny, to an assisted living facility in L. A. Bennie had been my neighbor and Vickie and I went to his eightieth birthday party last year; here are Bennie (he always wears African robes) and James:

I went next door to tell Suzanne the news and we decided on a social session tomorrow. I said I'd host, as Suzanne did last time. Called Vickie to invite her and tell her about Bennie, which she appreciated. 

I was amazed to look at Facebook and see that my nephew, Dave Wessel, has written a "historical novel" featuring his father, Carl, my sister's husband. With his parents, Carl emigrated from Germany when he was (I think) a teenager. Here's Carl:
Here's Dave at his home in New Hampshire:
I wonder why a "historical novel" instead of the straight story. Maybe because shining a light on the actual past reveals too much? I know things and so does David. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...