Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Movin' Monday

Moving along the coast during a busy day. It started off with a call from Ellen, was off for Presidents' Day, and we had good long talk. As soon as we hung up, I went over to Vickie's. We weren't to meet Suzanne until noon, so we had time to chat. Drove to Rincon, which is a brewery and I don't know why Suzanne would choose that, as she doesn't drink anything but N.A. (non-alcoholic).  Vickie doesn't either, but she had an N.A. I, of course, had a robust IPA called "beefeaters," for some reason. I had asked for a citrusy one and boy, this happily non-non-alcoholic was good. Had a hamburger and salad, too. Vickie brought Suzanne a bell, which she liked, and she and I treated Suzanne to lunch. Here's Suzanne with the bell and the three of us:


We had an enjoyable time, then Suzanne left to go home and Vickie proposed that she and I go to Santa Barbara to see Betty. She's been saying she wanted to take me there and this time, I took her up on it. 

During the hour ride, we really got to know each other. We talked frankly about her orientation, her life with Mary, mine with Pat, as well as our backgrounds and childhoods, which differ so much. By the time we got to Villa Alamar, we were fast friends.  

We found Betty, as usual, in the recreation room. She greeted me with her usual dazed smile and Vickie couldn't have been warmer and natural with her (unfortunately, she's had experience). 

(I still don't know how to get pictures side by side without all the white space!)
I showed Vickie around Villa Alamar, including the atrium, dining room, and Betty's room, which I think the best in the place; It's on a corner with two big windows, plus has a foyer, as far as I know, the only one in the place that does. We didn't stay long, of course, probably less than an hour, but that was plenty.

When we got in the car, Vickie's GPS said there had been an accident on the 101, resulting in a half-hour or so backup. Vickie solved that problem by proposing we stop for a drink at Joe's Cafe. She knew the place, as she and Mary had lived in Santa Barbara for five years, while Mary was with a research company. Joe's is a neat place: Opened in 1928, it's all dark wood, plush hangings, and a big long bar. I had a mimosa and Vickie an N.A. beer (how can she stand the stuff?!) and naturally, we continued our free-wheeling talk. 
Left after a leisurely time and we drove back to Ventura. Vickie got me to Stone Fire Grille to join my Soaring Spirits pals for our usual third-Monday-in-the month dinner and that was a good, convivial time, too.

Vera, as usual, took me home and I didn't get in until after 8:00. It was a good day, but unfortunately, was topped off by an unpleasant incident: As I got up at Stone Fire Grille, I noticed a pain in my right knee. I hadn't fallen or bumped it and I thought it would wear off, but as I went with Vera to her car, it continued to hurt. Long story short: By the time I went to bed, I was worried I may have to seek care. I did fall asleep, but awoke at 2:15, still being bothered by it. I took a hydrocodone tablet I happened to have and rubbed some Aspercreme on it. Was able to fall asleep and it feels better this morning, but only to a point. If it doesn't improve after a time, I'll have to call the doctor, then maybe get Lyfte to take me there. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...