Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Jim, Patrick, Nancy, And The "F" Word

Stripped the bed, re-made, and did a white wash. Took the (surprisingly large for one person maybe) trash to the receptacles.  Tidied up this and that, then took a shower. Made my sandwich--all I had was canned tuna and I didn't feel like going to Von's for anything else. Showered, washed my hair, and dressed to meet Jim for lunch. 

Did so at 1:00 and while I was walking out to the front where I always meet Jim, I saw my neighbor, Patrick. We said hi and he asked if I liked champagne. Sure do, I said, and he told me he wanted to give me a little gift and he'd bring it to the middle, where I would be.

Jim and I sat down and shortly, Patrick came up with a gift bag. He gave it to me and I was amazed to find this:

It's hard to see the glass, but it's charming. I have no idea why Patrick would give me that, but I suspect he was given it, doesn't like champagne, then just happened to see me, and re-gifted it. Of course, I'll save it for some occasion I can share with someone else--Ellen and Greg, I hope.

Jim and I sat and chatted until almost 4:00. I asked if he had ever "thought about" going into the seminary and he said no. Also asked if he had heard of Anthony DeMello and he hadn't. It's possible  DeMello is more of a new-agey type, considering his publicity, which Jim, a traditionalist if ever there was one, is not.  

As soon as I got home, I prepared for my 5:00 Zoom meeting with Nancy.  I got my wine glass with the sparkly stem, put out my little bottle of Merlot and some pretzels, and selected a New Year blower. After a few snafus (one of the few expressions I lifted from the military*), there she was.

I hadn't seen Nancy for a whole year. She has let her hair go white and it's quite long. That's very attractive on her, as it's wavy. She said she likes mine, which is kind of multi-colored: white, light brown, grey, but decidedly not wavy, damnit.

We talked for about 45 minutes, showing each other various things, still marveling over the fact that we could actually see each other. I drank my wine, she her champagne, and it was great fun. Nance, who's two years younger than I am, has some physical "issues," as they say, so hasn't been off her son's property (she has a small house on it). Before we said goodbye, she proposed that we "meet" on Zoom every Tuesday at 5:00 and I enthusiastically agreed.. I've already sent her an invitation.

*I always thought it meant "situation all fouled up," but I suspect the "F" word is a different one. 



  

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...