Sunday, January 31, 2021

Phone Calls And Deaths

Put three books and a DVD in my little cart and walked to the park. I left them off and selected three new books (added to my large store of other books I haven't read yet!), then sat down on a bench and called my niece, Joan, who lives in Brooklyn. I was interested to hear she's following Dr. Somebody's probiotic program, which emphasizes high fat, low carb and not many vegetables. She was making yogurt when I called--it seems that's one of the good bacteria foods. Incidentally, this isn't a weight loss diet; Joan has never been overweight by even a few pounds, and still isn't. Anyway, we had a good talk for fifteen or so, then I went on my way. 

Just as I finished lunch, Bill Galway called and we actually talked for more than an hours. Bill was our a-few-doors-down neighbor on Sweetwater Drive and still lives there. He's also a contractor--still working, although he's over 70--and the business part of his call was to ask if I wanted to re-up to retain him, as I have for years. Absolutely and I said I'd send a check. Aside from that, he filled me in on goings-on at Sunrise Bay, including recent deaths I was sorry to hear about. They include Rae S. whose husband died several years ago. I knew him well, as he had been in the drama club with me. Than there was Angela S., the wife of Bob S., who shuts off and turns on my sprinklers at the appropriate season. I knew Angela, a lovely and very sweet-natured person, through various groups. They had suffered terrible tragedies by losing first one daughter, then the other, to cancer when the daughters were only in their fifties. Angela had a heart attack with no warning or any indication of heart disease.

But the real shocker was the death of Anne Mary Hayes. She was another neighbor down the street and somewhat of an eccentric character. She never married, had no siblings, and had taught high school math for years (that alone is weird, if you ask me). She was devoted to the various miniature poodles she owned at different times--I remember Eddie and Carlos well--and had been president of the AKC Poodle Club in Upper Saddle River. In fact, Anne Mary said she had put in her will that she wanted her dogs cremated and the ashes buried with her.  I knew Anne Mary quite well and, looking back over this blog, re-read a number of entries that mention her in either an amused or exasperated tone. Damn, it's depressing to hear about all these deaths but I guess that goes with the over-55 territory.

Bused into town later, but just walked a bit down Main and Ventura Avenue. Home and had my tilapia, cabbage, and potato dinner. 

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...