Thursday, January 07, 2021

COVID And Family

I got my fifth COVID test yesterday--see later.

Called my brother, Larry, and we caught up with each other's exciting (ha!) lives. Something amusing happened, though: Yesterday morning, I read a brochure included in the Ventura Star. It was an ad for Consumer Reports and on page 7, there was a blurb that said the KIA Telluride was "the best SUV we ever tested." An hour later, I talked to Larry and he told me his daughter, Jeanne, and husband, Vic, had just bought a new KIA Telluride. Coincidence? I think not.... (Actually, I think so.)

As for the test: I get the county report on the virus in email and it listed the testing sites, which included a "pop-up" at Kimball Park. This is where I frequent the little lending library, so I packed up a few books and a DVD and set off. Put my books in the cabinet and took my place in line for the test. I noted the tine: 11:03. When did I finish and get out? At 12:32. Good thing I have plenty of stamina because standing (aside from the occasional inching up) that long can be uncomfortable . 

Now I'm beginning to wonder if anybody knows the right way to do the tests. Those three at the Fairgrounds, which the testee does him or herself, couldn't be read, as I mentioned here before. The one at the hospital, done to me, was okay (negative result, of course), and the swab was inserted much higher up. This time, I was given just a short swab and told to swirl it in both nostrils to the count of ten. In other words, the instructions have been inconsistent each time I've had it. We'll see what happens with this when I get the text result. 

After lunch, I was walking to the bus stop when niece Carolyn called. We had a nice talk and I told her about the COVID test. Her son, Finn, goes back to U. of Colorado on Saturday and, she said, after that and after I get my test results, she hopes to bring Betty to see me. Of course, we'll sit outside and bring our own lunches.

Rode to Target, which is at the mall/transit center and got blueberries and "veggie straws." They're not bad and, in moderation, I'll eat them. Home and cooked up some fresh salmon, roasted mushrooms, and the rest of the carrots with citrus. 

I called Betty in the evening and she was having great difficulty with her iPad and television. I don't want to list chapter and verse about it, but it was heart-breaking. How I wish she was back in the other phase--confused, but happy. It's now 6:20 am and I'll call her in two hours or so. 

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...