Saturday, January 30, 2021

T.O.P.S., Angelina Jolie, And Chinatown

It was indeed raining when Cheryl picked me up at twenty of nine. We got to the parking garage, weighed in--only we two, plus Lolly and Lennie, then left. I was okay with my weight: stayed the same on my home scale at 127 and had a .01 gain on the other, for 127.6. No prob.

After breakfast, I got my cart from the patio and prepared to walk over to Von's for the cheap wine and blueberries they had advertised. As I stepped outside, Suzanne came up and invited me in. We sat and chatted for twenty minutes or so, she in her mask in a chair about ten feet away. I then proceeded to Von's and got my goods, including a cabbage and apples; chopped and put them in the slow cooker when I got home.

After lunch, I bused to town. Bought an umbrella (my old one had just about given up the ghost, since it had had to be opened two days in a row) and two more DVDs: Citizen Kane and, believe it or not, Superman. The first is the classic, of course, which I've seen; I've also read the huge bio of William Randolph Hearst, plus have toured his castle at San Simeon several times.  As for the other, I've always liked Christopher Reeve, who was born in New York, but brought up in Princeton, near where I lived for 41 years. Since I keep buying DVDs, I now have an incredible number of movies--probably thirty of which I haven't even seen yet. Last night, I finished watching Changeling (I see movies in installments of an hour or so). It was pretty absorbing, actually, and Angelina Jolie does a good acting job. 

I'm re-reading The Big Goodbye: Chinatown And The Last Years of Hollywood, about the making of my favorite movie, the horrendous Manson murders, and the end of the old Tinseltown. 

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...