Saturday, January 02, 2021

Friends And Family And Zoom And Phone

Home, I weighed 125.8, exactly the same as last week. On the TO.P.S. scale, I was recorded as losing a whopping .07 (I don't even think that's seven ounces), at 126.2. 

After the usual late Friday breakfast, I took my cart, added some books and DVDs, and walked to the park and the little lending library, so got three in. Picked up a few more books.  

After, I sorta, kinda kept my nose to the grindstone. Finally planted the chrysanthemum plant Mike sent me for Thanksgiving; took the Christmas wreath from the front door; gathered up the other Christmas decorations (I remember reading in a magazine years ago, "There's nothing so over as Christmas"); packed  them up and laboriously stowed them away in the high cabinets.   

I then set up (with Ellen's invaluable help) the Zoom visit with Pat in Jersey. I had thought we had decided on 4:00 my time and 7:00 hers, but I had it backward--was supposed to be 4:00 her time, so 1:00 mine. It worked out okay, though, and we Zoomed together for about an hour. It was great fun.  Pat was born and brought up on Absecon Island and we have similar backgrounds, though our later lives diverged and so did our beliefs. It was so enjoyable, especially accompanied with a glass of Merlot--on my part, that is.  

I was making dinner shortly after Pat and I said goodbye, when my dear friend, Aline, called from Little Egg. What a pleasure to talk to her! I think I have more in common with this small (in stature, not intellect or goodness) Jewish Brooklynite (and she has the accent) devotee of opera, who never married, never drove a car, than almost any other friend. She's in her late seventies and has had a hip replaced, but is just as active as I am. She's able to discuss serous topics with an open mind, which seems to get  rarer with many as they age. We talked for an hour and fifteen minutes, so interested in each other's lives and ideas we couldn't put down the phone. 

Friend Nancy and I had scheduled a Zoom meeting for 5:00 today, but later last evening, she emailed me to say her iPad charger stopped working and the new one won't get there until Tuesday. We switched to then and it's just as well, because after that, I got a message from my niece, Chrissy, in Bangkok, and we set up a Zoom meeting for today. It'll be 7:00 pm for me, 10am tomorrow for them, and I can't wait to see my soon-to-be-95 dear brother! 

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...