Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Grandfather George

Walked to the market after breakfast, bundled up in scarf and mittens because it was downright chilly. Got red potatoes (they're the most nutritious), onions, and tissues. Home, I prepared the onions, thin-slicing one on the mandolin for a ground turkey stir-fry for dinner and chopping the rest for future use from the freezer. 

I've been looking through some of my mountain of old pictures and came across this of my maternal grandfather, George Figenshu:

Aside from the coloring, I think my brother, Frank, looks remarkably like him (Frank had the very dark Byrne hair, as I did). I have extra copies of the picture, so decided to send one to Frank with a letter. I'm not sure, at this point, exactly how much he'll grasp, but I hope he'll enjoy them.

I played around with some other old pics, including this one of the same grandfather when he was older:

After that, I walked to the post office and mailed Frank's letter, then bused to the mall. I really didn't need anything, but I don't like to stay home for long periods unless I have something to do; it's unhealthy for me, both physically and emotionally.  So I just strolled around, first through Target, then Macy's, then Penney's. I saw almost no people, customers or staff, wearing masks--because I saw almost no people. Upstairs in Penney's was completely deserted--I could have walked off with jewels or a fur coat and nobody would have noticed.

I actually enjoyed it in a minor way. I seldom buy anything for full price (I have much too much already) and certainly not at the mall, but I liked looking.  It was still very chilly, plus the wind kicked up almost as strong as it was last week. Got home at 4:15 and decided to now write my brother, Jim, in Bangkok. Started a letter and will finish today.  


 

 



No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...