Monday, October 12, 2020

Sunday

Sunday was a good, active day. While my hosts went off to play pickleball, I walked to Dollar General to get a sympathy card for Fred. Now my mother had always told me it was tacky to send a card--a personal note was the proper way to express condolences.  I absolutely agree and invariably, over the years, sent notes exclusively. However, I couldn't find any note paper, so went through the cards, trying to choose the least shmaltzy one. I wrote a long note to Fred on that, which I'll mail today. Back and forth to the store totaled two miles.

Lunch, then my hostess and I went to Cedar Glen Park to walk the 1.3 fitness trail there. After that, we drove to Alto Lake, a lovely area indeed, and hiked the somewhat difficult (for me), but not impossible,  2.5 mile trail.  During the hike, she insisted I try the hiking pole she had brought. I had never used one before, but now I'm committed to it. The rocky trail, steep in some parts, was so much easier (and safer) to navigate than it had been before. In only a few stretches did I have to hold her arm in addition to the pole. Can't wait to get one of my own.

There were lots of people fishing and hiking at the lake. We met one young man carrying about six beautiful trout he had caught. I was told the lake, which is man-made (you see that all over in the west), is stocked with various kinds of fish. 

We stopped at the supermarket after and I replenished my beer supply. This time I chose Sierra Bianca pilsner, just on the basis of the name. Sierra Bianca ("White Mountain") is a majestic peak that soars over this picturesque little town.   

Home and we had a delicious, homemade quiche for dinner--oh, mama, so good. The "crust" was made of rice and the traditional filling of eggs, spinach, and cheese was just sublime. 

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...