Friday, October 02, 2020

Grand Canyon Two

We went after breakfast to Safeway, a sister store to Von's, to replenish supplies, packed a lunch, then took off the The Other Worldly Place.

Incidentally, we're on the South Rim and, while we were driving the fifty miles to the Canyon, I casually asked how far it was if we wanted to go to the North Rim. I thought I heard "ten miles," so why not go there, too? However, I was corrected--it's two hundred and ten miles. Guess that should be saved for another trip.  

We started the Bright Angel trail, which is so very picturesque and features such spectacular views and gets so very, very terrifying after a half-mile or so, that I asked to go back. Of course, we did, my hosts are always sensitive to scaredy-cat me. I learned that they had walked that trail ten years ago when they were here before. You can look down and see the switchbacks that are just narrow tracks with no barriers of any kind, so it would be easy to just stumble a bit, then...

We ate lunch, then separated, the two of us hiking the Rim and visiting various buildings here and there, including gift shops and historic lodges. We reunited, hiked some more, then went home for dinner.

Incidentally, there's still a problem with getting my gazillion pictures to load, but here's one son Mike put on Facebook yesterday. The year? 1987.




    

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...