Sunday, October 25, 2020

Bandelier

 We left early for the native American ruins in Bandelier. They're 45 miles away through some of the spectacular landscape that lie all over the west. Arrived and took the trail to the cliff dwellings. Luckily, steps and railings are now provided and, although it was fairly strenuous, I was able to do it. 

The second one's my power pose, of course.

We walked back for lunch, which we had brought with us. Neither the visitor center nor the "cafe" were open, but the gift shop was and I stopped in to buy a little something for my grandson. After, we walked back to another high-up dwelling. This is 45 feet up in the mountain, reached by stairs and ladders. I wouldn't consider trying it, but my companion went part way. We walked back to the car and took off. (I think we did about four miles.) We stopped on the way back to Santa Fe at an overlook, which was just lovely and included the Rio Grande River.

Since it was only about 3:00, we drove to town and visited "the oldest house in the U.S." (Ha, I was told that was in St. Augustine, Florida, but read a notice that mentioned there are twelve contenders for that title.) Anyway, we had been there before and only a portion of it is still standing.

Walked back and stopped at the supermarket, had dinner, and later watched a movie--not too bad, something about teenagers and bird-watching.  

Note: I appreciate that my friend, Pat, let me know that yet another old HSHS-er is gone. Chas ("Chaz") Martin has died. I'll call his sister, Mary H., with whom I graduated, this morning (sigh...)

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...