Thursday, October 01, 2020

Grand Canyon, First Day

We got into the Williams, Arizona (settled, 1881) and the Grand Canyon RV Park and Railway about noon, earlier than expected. The plan had been to first go to the canyon this morning, but we went yesterday, instead. 

I pity the person who has to describe the Grand Canyon. You can look at pictures, film, stills, and video; you can study all the statistics: the area it covers, its depth, its flora and fauna, the variation in strata; you can read volumes about it, but you can never NEVER imagine its magnitude and magnificence until you see it. I saw it yesterday and felt I should drop to my knees.

We went to the South Rim and yes, I have plenty of pictures, but am still having problems getting them off my camera, so they'll have to wait. We had packed dinner, ate it at one of the picnic tables, then explored along more of that area. There were lots of people there, but it didn't seems unpleasantly crowded. (You could probably fit the population of the earth into it with elbow room left over.)

We stayed to witness the sunset at one of the observation point, then, a special treat, the full moon rising. Now, this was something to see. We stopped in the gift shop and I got some postcards, then left about 7:00, when it was already dark.

Today, we go back to that unworldly place. 

 Note: Aha, I was told we didn't drive 200 miles, but more like 300 miles on Tuesday.  To be precise, it was 292. No so much yesterday, I think about 100.





No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...