Monday, October 26, 2020

Los Alamos

 We spent the morning on mundane financial stuff, which included making a reservation for my flight home. I'm going from Albuquerque next Saturday; must remember to call the Airporter tomorrow. My companion then went out for a walk while I made up my lunch salad and boiled two eggs to go in it. 

After lunch, we took off for Los Alamos, about forty-five miles away (everything is forty-five miles away in New Mexico). Again drove through spectacular mountains and desert until we reached the small town...

...small town and big history. This is where the death-dealing atom bomb was born and the antecedents of my grandson doomed. Of course, we didn't go anywhere near the area, although a brochure says you can see something of where "scientists develop groundbreaking innovations to solve national security challenges..." Yeah. 

Los Alamos is also a pleasant small town (pop. 18,000) and we explored it by foot. We went in and visited the historic Fuller Lodge, which had originally been "The Ranch School," founded in 1917. It's very large and the walls are made entirely of split logs. All 771 of them were "personally selected" by the architect, John Gaw Meem. The very large building is now a meeting place for local groups. When we walked in, there was only an oblivious teenager sitting in a chair absorbed in her phone and we just wandered around, looking in rooms and reading the information posted here and there. To an extent, I enjoy that more than a formal guided tour.   

We also went to a few other interesting places, but mostly walked, starting at the lovely small park; we went about four, I guess. I'll add pictures tomorrow.

Here I am in White Rock, NM, the other day, with the picturesque Rio Grande:


3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Is my memory correct in that while you were still living in NJ you were considering NM as a place to live?

Your daily blog will be a great way to savor each day once you are back in Ventura. Looks like you've had great weather all along the way.

Mimi said...

Yes, when I was still in Jersey, I was considering NM, since one of my children lives there. However, I had never been there and had been to CA many times, plus one of my children lives there, also. Actually, I'd love to find a way to split my time between the two, but with my own place in both state. I haven't quite figured out if I can or not, financially, though.

Ha-ha, that you mention the great weather--see tomorrow's entry!

pak sudaryono said...

http://mimi249.blogspot.com/2020/10/bandelier.html?m=1

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...