Monday, October 19, 2020

Guests For Dinner

While my hostess burned up the pickleball courts, then went grocery shopping, I did a big load of my wash and tidied up my room and bath. She prepared the beef stew (from scratch, which included cutting the meat into cubes, slicing the fresh veggies, and so on) and put it in the crock pot to slowly get delish.

After a quick lunch, we walked the circumference of the nearby path (3 miles), then went back to further prepare for our guests. The newlyweds, S. and S. came at 5:00, as scheduled, bringing Maggie with them. A daughter? Well, pretty close; Maggie is actually a teeny little doggie, very quiet and calm--even I liked her. They also took her on their honeymoon; my host and hostess went to part of it, too. (S. and S. are mature people and he has children from a previous.)

We had appetizers and wine on the deck, sitting around the fir pit, along with good conversation and laughs. We then sat down for dinner in the dining room, eating off my mother's bone china (which I had given my hostess years ago). This a lovely set, white with tiny roses and silver around the rim. Mom got them as her wedding set ninety-seven years ago.  Of course, the dishes can't be put in the dishwasher, but that was okay by me, since my hostess washed them (ha!). The beef stew was just wonderful, so tender you didn't need a knife. S. had brought a salad and, along with organic "peasant bread" and homemade apple crisp for dessert, it was simple, but delicious meal

S., S., and M. didn't leave until after 9:00, then the three of us sat in front of the fire reading our books--or, in the case of my host and hostess, "books"; theirs are electronic.

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...