Sunday, October 18, 2020

Excursion to Las Crusas

 My hostess, her friend, G., and I took off for Las Cruses about 9:30. This is a two-hour drive through the impressive New Mexico landscape (miles of desert and looming mountains), and with my companions, it was enjoyable. 

We first visited the Goodwill there and happily picked out some tops and pants. I got two good-looking shirts, my hostess three, and G. a few other things. From there, we went to the nice little park nearby, complete with ponds and fountains, and ate the lunches we had brought at a shaded picnic table. Walked the short walk there--surely no longer than a mile--then drove a distance away to a clothing department store named "Dillard's." Gee, this is a neat place; I wish there was one near me. It reminds me of the old Dunham's in Lawrence Township: really attractive, stylish clothes and courteous sales people. I bought a great pair of Capri-length pants in white duck that actually fit. They're a petite 12, which is very hard to find. I also got an across-the-body bag, something like a backpack, but it can be worn either front or back and I want it in the front. My hostess got a similar one and G. something else there.

G. suggested we stop for a beer, which we did, in a nearby Mexican restaurant. As it happened, this portrait of Frieda Kahlo was on the wall:

She was a painter and somewhat of a revolutionary, about whom I've become interested. She was married to the painter Diego Rivera, with whom she had a turbulent relationship, and has a prominent place in recent Mexican history (she died in 1954). 

We stopped into a small jewelry store which carries only sterling silver and talked to the designer/artisan/owner. I couldn't resist a square ring and, against all good judgement, bought it. At other stores, I bought a few small gifts, including woven bracelets for my granddaughters.

Another two-hour drive, during which Ellen called. She was at my apartment and asked if I wanted her to open any of the mail. No need, I decided, but we had a nice chat. Got home about 6:00 after a very enjoyable day. 


No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...