Thursday, April 30, 2020

Wednesday


The usual. Went to Von's--big whoops, as the kids used to say--for my lunch lettuce and butter spray. After, I once again called the Housing Rights Center. This time--a miracle--I was called back shortly. I explained the highway robbery in which FPI Management is involved and was advised to send the a letter with my complaint and, if they weren't responsible, to get legal aid. Well, I'll give it a shot. My dilemma now is whether to raise Eileen's rent and by how much. I'll talk it over with my advisors, my children.
I also called Public Health to ask about Maggie and was directed to something called "One Stop," which handles shelter and other help for the homeless. Called and left a message about Maggie with them.
Spent some time on food prep, cutting up and putting my cauliflower in the slow cooker and chopping mushrooms to saute for dinner. Also finished another jigsaw puzzle (below) from the museum. When I went to town after lunch, I walked past the museum, and was charmed to see that the puzzles are mosaics on the side of the building. I'm working on yet another now.
I didn't stay in town long, though; it was just too damn depressing. It was a dreary, overcast day, which always gets me down, anyway, and there was a chill wind. Worse, all the stores that I used to frequent were closed. Of course, there were very few cars or walkers on the street, either. I was cheered up a bit, though, to see a battalion of bicyclists rolling down Main Street. There must have been thirty of them, all exuberant teenaged boys, and good for them.  I also saw this sign being painted and stopped to compliment the painters:
When I was walking to the bus stop and when I came home, I noticed that Maggie was not on the corner. However, her various bags and parcels were there. I called "One Stop" again and was advised that the police handle that kind of situation. Called the cops and a very pleasant office told me they can't just snatch her off the street, even for her own good. However, he said if I see her there again, I could call them and they could try to persuade her to accept help.  

3 comments:

Ellen said...

That puzzle depicts Chumash Indian life: their housing (an 'ap), the clam-shell rattles, the mortal and pestle cards from soft stone, the very tightly-woven basket, which are admired greatly by basket-weavers.

Ellen said...

Carved, not cards.
Oh, and, of course, the whole scene is from the perspective of inside a painted cave.

Mimi said...

I never noticed that, but I see it is from inside a cave. I also didn't think of the items actually are. Thanks, dear!

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...