Friday, April 10, 2020

Thursday

I was awakened, damn it, by a robocall at 6:05. I usually get up not long after that, but it was annoying. Even more annoying, it was raining. Of course, this wasn't a dramatic, almost scary, east coast event, it was a California rain--slow-pokey, indifferent, and just drip...drip...drip.
My mood lifted after breakfast when I got a call from New Mexico. That's elk country and I enjoyed hearing about the ways--often ineffective--of keeping them from eating the greenery.
After breakfast, I moped around, doing this and that--activities so important I don't even remember what they were--until I put on my boots and raincoat, hoisted my umbrella, and trudged to Von's. Got salad dressing, olive oil, and shredded cheese and by the time I got home, I was ready for lunch.
Ate, and tidied up a bit, then was pleased that Ellen called and we chatted for about a half hour.
While El and I talked, my cousin, John, from Pennsylvania, called, but I really don't know how to put a call on hold while I answer another (I keep hanging up on them), so I called him back after. I was surprised there was no answer, but then listened to my messages; John said he would try me again, but he goes to bed at 6:00 and when I called, it was a little after, so he's get back to me soon. Goes to bed at 6:00? Okay, I knew he was eccentric, but good grief...
I opened the door to check the temp and found this:
I was thrilled. One of the few things that grew well in the sandy soil of Ventnor, my childhood home, were hydrangeas, and I love the pink ones, in particular. They were from the Singapore branch, that is, son, Mike, Paula, and the girls, for Easter. Later, I can plant them in the patio and they'll add a pretty color.
I finally got a return call from the Ventura government agency Housing Rights Center. I was prepared for them to tell me I didn't have a leg to stand on, but no. The person I talked to said it looked like a violation of ordinance AB1482 and she advised me to get an attorney. I called one who specializes in housing and an associate will call me back. A half-hour first consultation (in this case, by phone) is free.
The rest of the day passed rather in a blur, what with the rain and all. I did have the nice ahi tuna steak for dinner I had bought the other day at Trader Joe's, frozen. Got it out and marinated it in olive oil, salt and pepper. (The directions from Trader Joe's said you could do that), then put it in the oven. It was delicious. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Oh, they are beautiful. I too, love hydrangeas...always reminded me of Mother's Day. I read/heard somewhere the color is determined by the soil. I wonder if they will remain pink when you plant them. I love them in any color.

Mimi said...

Pat, my neighbor in Sunrise Bay, Susan, had a number of large hydrangeas on her property, in pink, blue, and lavender. They didn't seem to lose their color, so i'm hoping this will survive, as is.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...