Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Monday

In the morning, I washed, (I never pare them) trimmed, and cut up my carrots, then put them in the slow cooker with some little "cuties," citrus, which I think are actually small tangerines.  Prepared two sweet peppers by cutting them in strips, then popped them in the freezer. Now I have frozen the makings of turkey stir-fry: peppers, onions, and ground turkey. If I get around to buying mushrooms, I'll put them in, too.
Went for my to-the-park walk on the footpath about 11:30 and Gail came riding up on her bike. She stopped and we talked for a bit. She seems inordinately worried about the virus, but hey, she gets her exercise. She mentioned she had come across a poem by Vachel Lindsay--had I ever heard of him? Of course, although I'm not familiar with his work. The poem was The Unpardonable Sin and I looked it up: it's anti-war, that is, if in the name of religion. Lindsay wasn't a major poet and I'm not sure why Gail was so taken with the poem.
When I got to the park, I sat on a bench and called first, Lolly, then Bobbi, both from T.O.P.S. They're surviving okay, but it's pretty dreary for them. Lolly doesn't go out and Bobbi's husband has a chronic condition so, aside from going to the mailbox, they're pretty much housebound.
After lunch, I decided to put my lily plant in the ground. Went out to the patio and was pleased to see next-door neighbor, Suzanne. We caught up with each other and she informed me that our straight-from-hell communications "service" (HA!) was down, that is, the t.v. part. I don't care, as long as the Internet is staying up, and it is.
Called Sharon from T.O.P.S. and talked to her for awhile. She told me a long story about a friend of hers whose father had died at 91 in Pennsylvania and they weren't allowed to lay him out or something. I didn't catch a lot of it because Sharon's phone is so bad.
Set out for my afternoon walk, but decided to go in another direction this time, so I went up North Hill Street, then looped around to Victoria and back. This is only about two miles, I think, but part of it is sharply uphill and I figure that made up for the brevity.
Ellen called and we had a long talk. She had had a happy hour Zoom "meeting" with two former colleagues, with whom she's still in touch. Lucky her! I'd still like to do that, but it doesn't seem to be happening. I persuaded her to come over next time she has to go to town--just to sit on the patio and chat. She said she would, but will call first. I told her about the lily and she thinks I should take it out of the pot and re-plant, which I will if it's reasonably warm today.
Betty called, somewhat agitated, to tell me a huge storm was engulfing Goleta, which is right next to Santa Barbara, where she lives. I tried to tell her, no, those storms are thousands of miles away, but she insisted until she saw "Chattanooga, Tennessee" on the screen.
For the first time in two years--literally--I made a pasta dish for dinner. In fact, because my eating regimen keeps me away from a lot of carbs, I haven't even eaten pasta during that time. The simple recipe is something my older sister, Gene, told me about years ago. You just cook up a pound of pasta, add a can of peas and a can of tuna in oil, and combine. I ate it hot, but it would probably be okay cold, too. With salt and pepper, I thought it was pretty good. I have plenty left and will probably just eat it down for another two dinners.
Sat down at 8:00 to watch my daily hour of T.V. and it was still out. No prob, I just watched the last part of my DVD of Wall Street.  

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...