Saturday, April 04, 2020

Trader Joe's And Other Stuff

After breakfast, I called Carolyn B., Nancy's and my erstwhile Soaring Spirits/happy hour/lunch friend. Carolyn said she had just had a Zoom meeting with Toastmasters and she had delivered her talk. I asked her what her topic was and she said she didn't follow the topic schedule; however, she didn't say what she talked about.
This is typical of Carolyn, as Nancy and I have noticed. It's amazing how uncommunicative she is about unimportant subjects. She also said she had been "tired" lately. Considering she seems "tired" most of the time, that wasn't big news. It was sad that, when I asked if she and her two children, 20 and 23, had played games or otherwise done things together, she said, no, they had pretty much done their own things. However, she was pleased that I had called and we had a pleasant talk. I called Nancy after and we chatted, also. She said she had been on Zoom with her knitting group, but since some are in Finland and elsewhere, the language thing was a problem.
I then took off for Trader Joe's for their frozen salmon and ahi tuna, which I've bought there before and like a lot. Outside, the line, people six feet apart, stretched all around the front and side of the building, but no matter; it was a beautiful day and I had no pressing other matters. I put on my mask and gloves, of course, and when I got up to the door, I was greeted by the--well, greeter. I was amazed to see he had neither a mask nor gloves, although he talked to me from about three feet away.  I asked an employee where the fish was and he directed me; he didn't have mask or gloves either. Nor did he cashier. Nor did he security guard outside. I asked each of them if Trader Joe's provides masks and/or gloves and they all said no.
This is incredible. Just like Von's, this supermarket, which makes huge profits, spouts all the sanctimonious bullcrap about how much they care for their employees and customers, but when push comes to shove, it's all talk. I was glad to have gotten the walk in, though, a total of 3.8 miles.
Home, I had lunch, then started on my quest to see if FPI Management, which owns this place, is cheating me or not. Talked to somebody from Ventura County government and she gave me number
I'll call on Monday. I also PM-ed my attorney nephew in Chicago and will call him over the weekend.
Betty called, having gotten the second "edition" of Byrnes' Beach, which she greatly enjoyed. She also got a letter from Ellen, which she read to me, about Patrick's visit and so on.
And speaking of my girl, El, she stopped in after work and we had a nice visit. She's got a lot on her plate what with making up packets, being in touch with her students, and trying to continue to educate. Anyway, it was so good to see her.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...