Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Phone Calls, But Not To Elva

I did a big load of wash, then cleaned the bathroom area--I say "area" because the toilet and shower are in one room and the sink and dressing in an adjoining room--the hall. (I'd love to meet the idiot designer who started that trend.) Cut up my cauliflower and put it in the slow cooker with oil and seasonings.
I called Yandoo to straighten out something about my bill, then BOA to try to change my "rewards" designation. That resulted in long, long waits, interminable recordings, and "we'll call you back so you don't have to wait." When they finally did, there was another long wait! I simply gave up and will try calling again today. Called the Ventura Housing Rights Center and was asked to leave an explanatory message, which I did. They'll also, theoretically, at least, "call back."
Betty called several time, being agitated--again--about something I know has no basis in fact--I don't want to be any more specific. Lolly, from T.O.P.S. called and we had a long talk. She seems very worried about the virus and barely goes out at all.
I thought I'd call my old friend, Elva Gruhler (that was her maiden name), with whom I graduated from St. James an incredible seventy years ago, but the phone was no longer "in service." Looked her up and, damn, Elva died three months ago. I'm not sure why that hit me so hard, but it did. We had a history--Dr, Gruhler and his family lived on Rosborough Avenue, as we did,  I went all through grammar school with Elva. They moved away, we lost touch until about ten years ago, when we reconnected. I visited Elva at her Lamberville Gallery of Fine Art, bringing Jeanne Dollard once and Peggy Hartman another time.
I don't know why I feel so bereft; the last time I talked to Elva was shortly after I moved here. She had called just to say hello, not realizing I was in California. I wish I had called her a few months ago. Elva's entire birth family pre-deceased her and her brother and sister were quite young. It's another part of my childhood gone forever and I remember some history with Elva that now, nobody else in the world remembers. It isn't even important or very significant, so why does it still clutter up my mind? That's a rhetorical question--I know why.
Went to Von's for tissues--they didn't have any--but didn't walk the footbridge, even though I could have, the light rain yielding to sunshine after lunch. Just got out about 4:30 and walked around the block--big whoops, as the kids would say.


No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...