Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Widder Lunch

Up and at 'em at 6:30, but it was really 7:30, or was it 5:30--AAGH!  However, I guess I'm adjusted to regular time, although I don't like it.
Left for Stonefire Grille at 11:00, intending to probably get a bus once I walked the mile to Telephone. However, it felt good and it was a lovely day, so I continued on for about two and a half.
As I approached the front door, who did I see but Carole F.  She had come to my eightieth in Santa Barbara, but as with Doris, we hadn't seen each other in recent months. We greeted each other with pleasure and immediately decided to get together and she asked me to call Sue and invite her, also. I was glad she didn't mention Sherry, but if anyone does, sure, she could be invited, too, although she's a real pain. As I talked to Carole, Carolyn came up; she said Marley, Nancy's little white dog, has something wrong with him, so Nancy wasn't coming. I'll call Nance today to see how he is.
We had a good meetup, with eight people there--one man, which is a common ratio in our group--and probably close to that in the general population of widows to widowers. Greg is a really terrific guy who just retired, although he's only about 58. I was sorry to hear him casually mention that he had attended a first meeting at UCLA with the medical staff that's going to give him a new kidney. I hope, hope, hope, the outcome will be good.
Teri invited me to go to the Rubicon on Thursday to see Big River: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, live theatre and a musical. I accepted and will meet her there at 7:00; she'll drive me home.  
Left after lively talk and hopped the bus to town. Got off at the library, walked to The Promenade, then did the usual loop to Main and back to the library. I had requested Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, which I used to own and have read several times. Picked it up and read a bit in the library, then took it out.
When I got home, I was delighted to get a packet containing yearbook pictures of my great-grandson. Had my homemade been burgers for dinner and enjoyed t a lot. Called Sue--no answer, but I left a message.
Betty called after dinner, again alarmed about "the fires that are right near you." Well, they're not and I wish she'd turn off the television. Happily , I slept like a log; didn't even get up to use what used to be genteelly called "the necessity."
  

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...