Friday, November 29, 2019

Actual Thanksgiving 2019

Spent the morning doing little but reading and talking on the phone. Called my daughter in Tucson, my brother, Jim, in Virginia, and my brother, Frank, in Alameda to wish all a happy Thanksgiving. Called Larry, too, but got his message thingy. Ellen called to let me know they'd pick me up about 3:00 and we'd repair to Santa Barbara.
What was I reading? Several items people gave me or recommended:
--Suzanne gave me an article from Time on the  new anti-capitalism movement (but is there one? who says so? how widespread is it? How likely is it to turn around our dismal record on economic equality? And so on).  I read it and will discuss with her. I'll bring up the significance of its source, which I doubt if she considered.
--Gail gave me a book of essays with the "stage fright" one by John Lahr. I read most  of it and will finish tomorrow. Very enjoyable. (BTW, I looked the author up; he's 78 and lives in L.A.)
--Jim said Nausea, by Jean-Paul Sartre, was his favorite book of fiction. I got it from the library, but haven't started it yet.
Showered, washed my hair, and waited around to be picked up. The rain stopped and it became a clear, lovely day. Ellen and Greg came at 3:00, bringing me a bunch of bright and beautiful sunflowers. They came in for a bit, then we left for Santa Barbara. Except for a jam here and there, the traffic was surprisingly light and we got to Roz's about 4:30.
I'm always amazed at Roz. She's 88, but slender, dark-haired (well, yes, and so do I, but hers looks natural), and her face is considerably less wrinkled than mine. (One of these days, I'll ask if she's had work.)  Her grandson, Anthony, a philosophy major at UCSB, was there, also. We had a glass of wine and chatted for a bit, then drove the short distance to Harry's.
It was, of course, bustling, but we were seated right away and served within a few minutes. I debated whether to have the turkey, but decided I'd splurge with spaghetti and meatballs. I don't eat pasta at home and this was a treat. I couldn't eat it all, though, and took a box home.
We had an enjoyable time and were there for about two hours. We then went back to Roz'es, talked for a bit, after which Ellen, Greg, Anthony, and I (Roz was tired and put her nightclothes on, but stayed up to say goodbye) played gin rummy at the dining room table. For some reason, I enjoyed this the most of the evening. 
We didn't get home until after 11:00--two house past my usual bedtime--and I skipped Downton Abbey, went to bed, and slept well.  Ellen invited me to go to Michael's today to get craft materials for her third-graders to make Christmas gifts for their parents. I'm looking forward to that, of course.
20191128_190121.jpg

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Do you know if anyone else has difficulty viewing your photos? Maybe it's only on my computer.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...