Thursday, March 02, 2017

BCNN and More

Busy day. I got to the BCNN breakfast at 9:30. Doris was already there, Sherry came later, but Carole didn't make it. The program was interesting: A group of Ventura women, all of the Catholic parish, here bought a diamond necklace, lend it out, and raise funds for various charities.
I know that's very cryptic, but it's a little too long and complicated to go into here. There's a book on Amazon and at B & N called The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their Lives and here's the blurb for it: "Four years ago, in Ventura, California, Jonell McLain saw a diamond necklace in a local jewelry store display window. The necklace aroused desire first, then a provocative question: Why are personal luxuries so plentiful yet accessible to so few? What if we shared what we desired? Several weeks, dozens of phone calls, and a leap of faith later, Jonell bought the necklace with twelve other women, with the goal of sharing it." Anyway, it was one of their better programs.
A woman I didn't know sat with us and we hit it off. She had been a teacher and had lived in Egypt and Paris--very bright, very attractive, and we exchanged contact info. When I gave her my card, she said she'd love to learn a bit about acting. She has written a book, too (I don't know anybody who hasn't written a book), called A Road to Barcelona: A Mother's Account. I'll check it out.
Sherry had asked me at the movies on Tuesday if I'd like some oranges from her tree and I said yes. Good grief, when we left the breakfast, she took out of her car a box with--there must have been 30 oranges in it! I eat only a half a day, but said I'd give some to others.
Got home in time to clean up a bit, then George from Caregivers came. I had to sign some papers (this is for a volunteer job), then he gave me the names and a little information on my callees. He left, I had lunch, then called the first one--Karen S., who, incredibly, is six years younger than I am.
Boy, is she interesting. She had been a railroad employee and actually drove the trains, plus was a conductor, and handled other railroad duties, although she graduated from college (North Dakota State). She has "breathing problems," according to info George gave me. We chatted for a bit, then I said I'd call her Monday. I didn't call the other two women, as I was due at Ellen's--I'll call them today.
Got to El's at 3:30 and sat outside reading on her patio in the glorious 70 degree weather. However, she called from school and said the plumber had switched to Saturday, so I left.
For the first time in weeks, I had trouble sleeping last night. Got up twice for the usual, then couldn't get back. I finally got out of bed at 5:00. I'm not sure why this happens, but if it's only occasional, I guess I can live with it.


No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...