Wednesday, January 27, 2016

DMV

Well, I didn't get my license yet--it was more complicated than I thought. Went at the appointed time of 8:20 and was served almost immediately. However, I was asked for identification and a drivers' license from elsewhere won't cut it; need a birth certificate or passport. Darn. I drove home and got my passport, ate breakfast, and was pleased to see I could get a 9:30 appointment. Got there, showed I.D., filled out a long paper, got my picture taken (it's horrible), then was directed to a bank of computers for the test.
What test? I didn't realize I had to take a test, so told the clerk I didn't have a book or anything. She gave me one and said I could come back any day and any time before 4:00 to take the test. Went over it when I got home; damn, it's pretty long; how can I ever remember it all? However, I took the two sample tests provided, a total of twenty questions, and got all but one right. They were multiple choice, so maybe it won't be as difficult as I feared. I might go back today and hazard it. I assume I'll have to take a road test, too. Guess they don't trust the state of New Jersey, hey?
Incidentally, I asked one of the employees how long after you move here you're supposed to get a California license. Ten days. Oh-h-h. Well, I've been here ten days--plus six months.
Got a welcome call from my friend in New Mexico and we had a good talk. They're going to be traveling in the summer, east and south, I think, so I don't know when I'll be able to get to their place. I hope before the year is out.
Went to Winco for supplies, including a lovely pint and a half of blueberries.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...