Friday, January 22, 2016

Bowels and Furnace

Do Californians have better bowels?
Apparently. Stewed prunes seem a mystery to them.
I went to three different supermarkets trying to buy stewed prunes (my innards are still a bit iffy) and couldn't find them. What's more, the clerks not only had no idea where they were, they didn't even know what they were. I finally found them at Vons after several people tried to help. They were on the top shelf, inaccessible to just over five foot me, and shoved back so you couldn't see them, anyway. I bought two jars, just in case there's a run on them.
Other than that, I went to the library and to WinCo for other stuff, plus looked around town at furniture. I guess I've come to the conclusion the sofa I favored is just too big and would overpower the space. Will look for more something more scaled-down. Went to Kohl's to look at bedclothes; nothing thrilled me and I may just put together a bed skirt and spread.
Talked to my friend, Nancy. She and I will go to the Ojai Beverage Company for the Beach Cities Golden Girls lunch on Saturday. I'll stop at her place first, as I'd like to see it.
Called Betty to see if the snow had started. No, but of course, it's going to be bigger than World War 3, with the boob tube filled 24 hours a day with it. Contemplating that annoyance, I am thrilled and overjoyed I made the move west.
I was settled in for the evening about 7:30 when I got a call from my tenant. "Did you get my text?" Uh-oh. I'm still not adept at texting and what's more, when I'm home, my cell phone is usually in the kitchen or my purse. I just assume people will call on the landline. So I didn't see her text, which she had sent hours before. The furnace wasn't going on. Anyway, I didn't have much choice but t have her call the emergency person. When I got up this morning, I had a text telling me the cost: $577. Boy, is that a blow, but--especially in light of the blizzard that's supposed to descend in that area today--I can't do anything but swallow it; Eileen will take it off her rent payment. I'm going to call former neighbor, Roman K., shortly, as Eileen mentioned something about a contract he has.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...