Sunday, July 05, 2015

Party

Still working away at that forever job, I got a fair amount of things packed.  Sent Anne Mary a thank you e-mail and got a phone call of acknowledgment in return.
My bed buyer, Katie S. and her partner, Erin, came at noon and were delighted with it.  They paid me and will be back Friday to pick it up.  I was interested to get Katie's card and find she's administrator of residential services for the New Jersey Institute for Disabilities in Edison.  They're a nice young couple and I'm glad they can use the bed.
At 4:00, I strolled the three doors down to the H.'s for the Fourth of July party.  As was true at their last Super Bowl party, I noticed that attendance has dwindled over the years. There used to be twenty-five or more people present; last night, besides the hosts, there were only eleven.
No matter, I had an okay time in a subdued way.  Food and drink were good, of course, and I was grateful there was no forced singing of anthems or (literal or symbolic) waving of flags.  The conversation, though, wasn't terribly stimulating and eventually turned to that most tiresome of topics, television programs, in this case, those on HGTV.
If I happen to run into Property Brothers (I don't plan ahead for T.V.), I'll watch it, mostly because of those eye-candy twins. However, I don't consider it--or any other program I can think of--a topic for discussion among grownups.  Seems to me T.V. is on a par with something like a hot bath--simply relaxation with little significance.  You don't discuss the temperature of the water or quality of the soap after you towel off, do you?
The party broke up about 8:00 and I was embraced and wished well by all. Hey, they're good people in the main and I'm glad I lived here as long as I did.  But now I'm chomping at the bit to start my new life and I'm not looking back.  
            

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...