Saturday, November 15, 2014

Vivian, Veggies,and Opening Night

I did walk (with Susan, of course) and what's more, I went to exercise.  Before that, Mike called back and I got to see adorable, six-year-old Violet, whose big news was that she's going to be in a ukulele concert soon.  I can't even imagine a whole evening of ukulele music, but hey, I'm a cultural Philistine from way back.
Violet soon had to go to bed and I got to talk longer with ten-year-old Vivian.
Now I'm her grandmother, of course, but I think almost anyone would recognize how beautiful she is.  I've asked her several times if she had make-up on, because her lips are so red.  She has very fair skin, very dark hair, perfectly shaped features, and a slender, lithe, athletic body.
What's more, Vivian is bright and inventive.  She was wearing a "tie-dyed" shirt--I had sent her a tie-dye kit for her birthday--and it looked very sixties cool.  She showed me her new Iphone and we had a lot of laughs comparing it and its "apps"* to my five-dollar (it was on sale; usually $14.95) TracPhone.  We had to say goodbye soon, though, as they were going out for dinner. (Singapore is 12 hours ahead of the eastern U.S.)
Didn't have breakfast until almost ten.  After that, I washed and trimmed the four or five pounds of sweet potatoes I got from the farm and put them to roast in the oven with lemon slices over. Pared and cut the turnips and put in a dish; oiled and seasoned chicken leg quarters, froze some and put another in the oven with the potatoes; had it for lunch.
Opening night went well.  The house was about three-quarters full, not bad for Friday.  Kevin did a credible job substituting for Frank and there were no large snafus.  I forgot to tell Kevin he was also to deliver the few doctor lines, but George, on stage at the time and realizing that, stepped in like a trouper and said them. At one point, he conversed with himself as his other character, Singing Jim.  But that's the beauty of a show like this: The pretense is, the radio audience doesn't see the actors anyway, so players can do several roles at once.
Got lots of laughs and a good amount of applause.  Susan and Walter were there, along with Mary-Jo, Pat, Lee, Bessie, and a few more.  I talked to them after and they were very enthusiastic.  Saw others there from Sunrise Bay, also.
Dayle and I were delighted to see Louise from the P & P group, who was looking great with a new hair style.  She stayed after, also, and we had a great time chatting.
As soon as the audience was gone, Ron's wife (I directed him as  Marty, a lowlife thug, in the Shadow segment) brought out a big cake with candles, as it was his birthday, and we all sang the traditional, then enjoyed the cake.
It's during times like this that I realize how big a wrench it will be to leave here.
* I hate using that stupid, trendy, 1984-like bastardized English abomination non-word, but I can feel myself drowning in a sea of verbal meaninglessness that's going to turn us all into Orwell and Huxley characters.  So whatta ya gonna do?

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...