Saturday, November 29, 2014

Another Thanksgiving and Another Car

Hey, we had our real Thanksgiving yesterday.  We met my grandson, Joel, his Noelle, and their four rambunctious boys at the Allentown house my friends are renting.  They loved it, odd and other-worldly though it is.  They explored thoroughly, then we went back to the house where a second turkey dinner was served--much more informally (paper plates, plastic utensils) and much more fun.
After, Robert opened my birthday present to him and it made a hit.  Maybe too much of a hit, as it's--well, noisy, to say the least.  Noelle opened hers--a canvas pouch that reads "I'm a dog person" (they have three), then the group posed for the Christmas picture.
The hostess was hard put to assemble, let alone keep still, this ever-moving gang ("Tristan, put your hand down; Robert, stop hitting Jason; Joel, sit up straighter").  After outfitting them with Santa hats and making a half-hearted attempt to cover the cartoon characters on their shirts with scarfs, my friend oversaw her husband's photography.  He finally got several good shots and so did I.  Then he set the camera delay, and the two of them, plus Mimi (that's me) got in some picture.  All this took place amid much hilarity, not only from the exuberant kids, but all the adults, including the director of the photo shoot.
Good talk after, then we had to say goodbye to those from the north.  Kisses and hugs all around and off they went.  I'm sure they don't realize how beautiful they are.
The three of us soon turned in, then got up to a nicely cooked breakfast of blueberry pancakes and eggs.  After that, ta da!--my friends suggested we go look at cars. We went to two places, looked at a number of them and the upshot was I bought a Acura and drove home with it.  It's not factory-new, it isn't fancy, but it's in great shape, rides like a dream, has a warranty, and I couldn't be happier.
I left my other car up there and my friends will take it to be sold for scrap, for which I'll get two hundred or so bucks.
What a terrific holiday, all in all, with my dearest-in-the-world to me, along with those others far away.  I'm a lucky woman.

  

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...