Friday, November 21, 2014

Root Vegetables and My Friend

It was the last farm day and I went early.  In the barn, got cabbage, turnips, beets, carrots, and sweet potatoes.  I could have picked (pulled out the ground, that is) other turnips from the field, but the deep furrows around them were either muddy or icy and I wasn't going to take a chance.
The car made it there and home, anyway.  I divided the bounty for my friend and me, then put my portion of the cabbage in the slow cooker with caraway seeds and a small bottle of sparking cider I found in the fridge.  Not sure where it came from, but I think from the welcome basket we got when we moved here.  I also scrubbed and trimmed the sweet potatoes and put them to roast in the oven with lemon slices.
Brother Larry called to say he's sending me another funny ad from the Miami paper.  I'm looking forward to it, of course.
Friend got here about 1:30 and started calling some of our masters, the odious "healthcare" rats who run the country.  Of course, just like the ones I had called, all carried either a huge premium or covered very little.  I'm just about reconciled to paying out a pretty hefty portion of my income for mediocre "care."
We took a nice walk, though, following the route Susan and I have every morning.  In fact, we ran into my walking partner, who was out getting the mail, and chatted with her for a bit.
Home, my friend went to Acme for salmon, while I set the table, then we had a tasty early dinner together.  She changed, then went back to work (student conferences) and I settled in for the evening.
My friend (who is much more than a friend to me) has a birthday on Sunday.  She was born on Thanksgiving and I've been thankful for her--more than anyone can know--ever since.       

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...