Saturday, November 01, 2014

Car Back!

Got my lil' darlin' back, good as--.  Well, more like on its last legs, but at least it runs.
My friend came at lunchtime to bring me the farm goodies, then at 3:30 to accompany me to the garage.  In the meantime, I washed, chopped, and put in the slow cookers: 1. a combination of cauliflower and chard; and 2. sliced carrots with sliced turnips. Had some of the first with dinner and it was delish.  Made a big salad with the green leaf lettuce; only thing I haven't dealt with yet is the radicchio; can't remember if it's actually a cabbage or what and must look it up.
Pat had called at 1:00 to give me another song and dance about how hard he was working on my car.  (It was only an hour later than when he said he'd call--must be some kind of record.)
We got there and after listening to Pat, as he compared the fuel pump which he replaced to a heart that runs the car/body and he had to get a stent at Deborah (Jersey heart hospital), but you get older and things wear out and anybody else would have demanded thousands to replace the engine and he was working on it until after midnight again and...and...and...
His wife was there for a time and how she stands that non-stop flow of verbiage without domestic violence is beyond me.
BUT!  Before we went in, my friend noticed there was a sign outside saying Pat accepts Visa and other credit cards.  What?  I had purposely gone to get cash because there's a sign over the door inside that says "cash only."  We pointed that out to Pat and he said he never even noticed it; it had been there since before he had the place, but of course, he takes credit cards.  (You just don't know whether to laugh or cry.  We decided to laugh.)
I didn't tell Pat that when I had the cylinder replaced there, his employee didn't comment when I said I'd go to the bank and bring the $45 back, which I did.  One wonders if said employee may have quietly pocketed the--.  Oh, Mimi, you're being paranoid, so move on, fer cryin' out loud.
My friend left and I immediately drove to Acme and stocked up on food. I had pretty much eaten down the freezer, so I got a lot for there, plus some beautiful oranges, which I've been without for two days, a real hardship.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Good deal on your car! Just for curiosity: what was the final diagnosis? Fuel pump?

Mimi said...

Yes, Mr. Engineer, it was the fuel pump, which he replaced. After getting all het up about "Pat," I actually don't think he's a bad guy. Of course, he could talk you to death, but since he fixed my car--for now--he's okay in my book.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...