Sunday, November 23, 2014

Great Weekend and an Anti-War Novel

What a neat, neat weekend!
I'm late with this because I got a surprise call from my friend yesterday morning.  She asked if I'd like to celebrate her birthday (which is actually today) by going out to dinner with hubby and her, then to a movie.
Oh, hell, no, I said, that sounds like no fun at all (yuk, yuk).  Of course, I hastened to accept, packed a bag, got a few errands out of the way, and arrived at their place at 3:30.
We first went to see the house they've rented, where they'll live for a time after their house sells (we're all fervently hoping the snags will be overcome soon).  This is in an historic district, a wonderful location--right on Main Street and easy walks to the library, restaurants, the lake, the park.  The house itself is--well, livable, but barely. The walls are all covered with paneling--the cheap kind--and the ceilings are very low; they also slant noticeably, as do the floors. We laughed over the oddities in the place, but hey, considering the scarcity of rentals in that area, they were lucky to get it.
We then went into Allentown for dinner Italiano.  I ordered two appetizers, which were plenty large enough for a meal; in fact, I took some of the broccoli with garlic and oil away and ate it later.
Then off we went, very early. to the movies.  We saw Interstellar, which was, incredibly, almost three hours long.  It was pretty absorbing, though, and I paid attention throughout.  Of course, the plot was about as far-fetched as you could get, involving time travel and narrow escapes, and so on.  Guess you could sum it up as: Crises after crises, and a cornfield.
An annoying factor was--were--the incredible number of ads--I'd say thirty, at least--followed by at least a half-hour of previews (which are actually ads, too, of course).  And for this, admission for the three of us totaled close to fifty bucks.  We didn't get back to my friends until well after 11:00, and it was midnight before we went to bed .
No matter, though, as I slept late--to 7:15--and got up to good coffee ready to be brewed.  Sat reading* until my friend got up. She proceeded to make us scrambled eggs, toast, and pancakes--yum. Then she opened her present and card and we enjoyed her enjoyment.
I kissed them goodbye and was home about ten.  What a wonderful weekend--they're always fine when I'm with my "friends."
* Am re-reading Johnny Got His Gun, the classic anti-war novel.  I'm absorbed in it--so topical, although written so many years ago.  When will we ever learn?  Never, I think.      

No comments:

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...