Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Food and the Scum of the Earth

It occurred to me that Bob needs another coaching session (actually, more like two hundred of them), so I called and asked him to come today at 11:00.  Asked Aline to come, too, as I don't want him to feel singled out.
Drove to Shop-Rite and went a little hog wild in the grocery-buying.  Got a whole chicken, salmon, Brussels sprouts, lots of salad stuff, and a bunch more to the tune of sixty-some bucks. However, I figure if the ISIS invades and imprisons me in my home, I can last for--uh, two or three years when it comes to food.
I actually sat and read for a bit.  I'm deep in Unorthodox, about a young woman who broke out of her Hasidim community. Truly fascinating.
Speaking of fascinating religions, I filled out an application for the Holy Spirit Alumni Directory.  It asks for a essay on grads' lives and I briefly described mine, adding that I'm a "happy and relieved free-thinker." Will that be left in?  Dunno.
Edited down both Frank's commercial for Goodrich Silvertown Safety Tires and Aline's and mine for Grove's Emulsified Nose Drops.  I think they're funnier this way and not as draggy.
So far, my car is tooling right along--what a pleasure.
What isn't a pleasure are the political ads of which I got eight yesterday.  What's so infuriating is that all but one was a recording. The other was some moron who said he was with somebody's--didn't even catch the name--campaign and did I need a ride to the polls?  I told him I didn't need a ride because I was never going to vote for his candidate or any other of scum of the earth running.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

So ... did the ride-to-the-polls moron explain to you that if you don't vote, you mustn't complain?

That's always a good one.

Yesterday, I read an old Wilt Alston piece with a title that was a pure joy in itself: "I Don't Mind If You Keep Voting, But Do You Mind If I Keep Laughing While You Do?"

Mimi said...

An excellent essay, Jim. I hope you don't mind that I posted Alston's piece on Facebook. Thanks for sending.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...