Friday, November 07, 2014

Nothing Much and Red Poppies

Nothing much coming down yesterday except rain.  We walked with umbrellas, but I managed to get out late in the afternoon; bought a nightgown and a set of full-bed sheets.  Of course, I haven't bought the bed yet, but all in due course.
Stir-fried lunch of garlic, onions, mushrooms, and sausage--very tasty--and worked a bit on my acting course.  I need another short play with two females and haven't been able to find one I like on the Internet.  Decided to write it myself, as I did the other four.
The only highlight of yesterday was a long phone conversation with my Florida brother, Larry.  Very enjoyable, although I'm still somewhat concerned with the results of his bypass and heart valve replacement.  It's been months now, and he's still having pain some of the time; also, isn't as energetic as he used to be.  I hope that passes.
WIDER:  Department of Beyond Belief: The red poppy thing has been transmogrified into yet another pro-military symbol. In Britain, the anti-war stanza in the song, The Green Fields of France, has been omitted in a campaign to promote the wearing of red poppies.  Originally meant to commemorate those who died in WWI--not all those who fought--the paper flowers are now used to "honor" all the hired killer sibs of the U.S.--and to perpetuate the idea that they're engaged in a good and noble enterprise.  
Here's the link:
http://stopwar.org.uk/news/this-year-s-poppy-appeal-song-sanitizing-its-anti-war-message-is-a-disgrace?fb_locale=el_GR#.VFrX7S7we9w.twitter

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...