Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Car and the Maritime Museum

The news about my car ain't good.
I took it in at 8:30, Susan following to take me home, to have Keith check on why the temperature gauge had lit up a few times. Asked him to change the oil and, as an afterthought, mentioned the tapping sound I've been hearing recently.
That's the big problem.  He said he didn't think the anti-freeze leak was serious--if there was one, he couldn't find it--but the tapping was in the engine and I'd need a new one.  Even re-built, it would be very expensive and in a eleven-year-old car with more than 175,000 miles on it, it may not be worth it.  Asked him how long I could continue to run it and he said there was no way to tell.
Groa-a-n.  I had hoped to keep this relic until I move to California, but now what?  Hate to buy another car, then have to sell it in a short time.
Spent the rest of the day puttering; even took a short nap on the sofa.  Went to Graveling Point and took some pics of Atlantic City, then, shortly before 7:00, stopped at the library to return a book.
I then realized I had signed up for the presentation on the Morro Castle disaster, which was about to start.  I had meant to ask Aline if she wanted to go and could have kicked myself that I forgot all about it. In fact, I was the one who had suggested to the branch manager, Kelly, that they appear.  Since I was there, of course, I stayed.
It was terrifically interesting, conducted by Deb, the founder and owner of the museum and Gretchen Somebody; the two are co-authors of the book.  Talked to Deb after and told her I'd get down to the museum sometime and show her the little piece I had written for The Breeze on the museum.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...