Friday, September 26, 2014

Rain, "The Shadow," and Big Red Soldiers

We walked in the pouring rain, and me without a raincoat.  Got soaked from the waist down, plus both jacket sleeves, but no prob, I just changed when I got home.
I was so sorry to read on Facebook that Lily McBeth has died.  She didn't have an easy life in later years, but she faced what she faced very courageously.  I called Elva B. with the news.
Aline called early and we discussed the possible upcoming show in November.  I had alerted her that I was invited to a meeting last night (she wasn't), but I think that was because I have a possible addition to the show: The Shadow radio program.  As it turned out, she was working from 4 to 9, so she couldn't have come, anyway.
Spent a lot of time on the aforementioned, also on Grey's novel, which I continue to like a lot.  I had a few suggestions, but minor ones, aside from a character (a ten-year-old) whose mannerisms don't ring true.
Betty called and we discussed the upcoming reunion and a few other things.
The meeting at the Henry's was at 6:00--I assume because Jim had an early call--and just the two of them, Desi, and I were there at first; Tonya came later.  We had a fine time discussing and shaping up the November production (while sipping Merlot, of course).  It's going to consist of four old time "radio shows," including my Shadow selection and yes, I agreed to direct.
Jim came up with the excellent idea of a warm-up person, and he's perfect for that.  We haven't yet named the show, but titles like "The Golden Days of Radio," "When Radio Was Big," and my contribution, "Remembering Radio...," were discussed.  We decided to hold an open call next week and invite starlets, star-guys, and starry-eyed hopefuls (gawd, Mimi!) to come and try out for parts.  I've already asked Desi to be an Irish cop and I'd like Frank Next-Door to be the announcer.  Hope I can get Steve Shaffer to play Lamont Cranston and The Shadow himself.
Got home to a message from Carole Wimberg C.  Called her back and we had nice, but sorrowful chat about Lily's death, whose funeral she thinks brother George will conduct.  I invited Carole to come to our reunion tomorrow and she may.
WIDER:  Check out this quote: http://www.army.mil/article/134543/1st_Infantry_Division_HQ_deploying_to_Iraq/
 "As brave, responsible and on-point Soldiers in the 'Big Red One,' we stand ready to deploy anywhere in the world to protect the United States of America, her citizens and her allies," (Major Gen. Paul E.) Funk said in a statement today posted on the Fort Riley webpage. "We are ready for anything because we know we have the nation behind us."
Oh, don't bet on it, you bloodthirsty horse's ass.


     

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...