Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Car and Bill Cosby

Well, wonders will never cease in Little Egg!
I called Keith and asked him to give me an clearer idea of the "very expensive" fix for my car.  He said labor would be $1200 and a rebuilt engine with a fairly low number of miles would be another seven- or eight-hundred.  So I'm looking at about two thou and it's still eleven years old with almost 200,000 miles on it.
So I agonized and agonized over it.  Thought I'd take it to Mastercraft to get a second opinion, but I know them to be expensive.  They have easy chairs and designer coffee in the waiting room (that's what always appealed to me), plus a receptionist.  My theory is they have to charge plenty to cover all that.
So I took it to Pat's Automotive.  Just told him the "check engine soon" light has been on and also, that it sounds funny.  He looked, said a cylinder wasn't firing, also that somebody--Keith, although I didn't tell him that--had put too thick an oil in and that caused something or other.  Charge ?  Forty-five bucks.
Was this a permanent--well, nothing in this world is permanent, so semi-permanent--fix?  Dunno, but I drove off absolutely delighted. Meandered here and there around town, and it continued purring like a little kitty.  Let's hope it'll now last until I take off for the left coast.
Aline called twice and we made plans for today.  Betty called; I'll see her on Saturday at the reunion to which I'm not particularly looking forward.
WIDER: I just received a forwarded e-mail that purports to be written by Bill Cosby.  I doubt this, but won't bother to look it up. It's one of those tiresome, semi-literate, ultra-right wing tirades that appeal to many of the Neanderthals whom I'll see at the aforementioned reunion.  Well, it was good for a laugh and I wrote back emphasizing the giggle factor and pointing out that it's fundamentalist garbage.  Let's hope that raises some hackles.    

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary, that's great. You took a chance waiting and seeking other input, but hey and hallelujah.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat. Let's hope it was the second guy who knows what he's talking about!

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...