Thursday, September 04, 2014

Farm Day

Sort of a good/bad day.  I should have left for the farm at 9:00, which would have given me plenty of time to waltz in, pick up the stuff, then meet Rosalie for lunch at 1:30. But I thought it wouldn't take more than an hour, so didn't leave until well after 10.  I had forgotten that this is bumper crop time in Jersey.
In the barn alone, there were onions, garlic, cucumbers, peppers, squash, and four kinds of tomatoes, not in small amounts, either. Got them okay, although it took awhile because it was crowded, then saw the PYO ("Pick Your Own") white board:  string beans, raspberries, sauce tomatoes, sunflowers, other flowers, watermelon, herbs, and something else.  Had to hike back to the car for a pen, paper, and reading glasses, as I knew I wouldn't remember what to pick and how much.  Wrote down what was what and set off.
The picking areas were wa-a-y over in one of the far fields; it was even posted that you could drive and park closer in, which I did. Once I got out of the car, I had to haul a bucket with attached scissors on a chain, three pint and two quart containers (all of which the farm provides on loan), plus my own cloth bag, plus keep track of my badge, keys, sunglasses, and the explanatory paper.  Was it dusty and hot?  Oh, yeah.
After picking only the string beans and raspberries, I realized I had been there for well over two hours and still had to return the farm's equipment back to the barn.  Checked the time and found it was almost 1:00; decided to leave to meet Rosalie, then come back after.
We had a nice-enough lunch, but by the time we parted, it was after 4:00.  I decided to drop off my friend's harvest first, then drive the twenty-five miles or so back to the farm to retrieve the rest of it. However, she got home and insisted she'd go back herself after dinner.  Invited me to stay, but I declined; just had a slice of watermelon and left.  I feel guilty about failing to get all the goods and her having to back for the rest.
Got home about 7:00 a bit tired, but revived after hearing a message from Susan.  Happily, we were able to get on the van tour for tomorrow.  It's "A Taste of Jersey" and should be great fun.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...