Friday, September 12, 2014

The Farm and the Car

Whatta day--and not in an overall good way.
My friend called to say she had a dentist appointment after work, so I volunteered to go to the farm.  Got up there about noon and it took more than two hours, as there was a bonanza of veggies, especially tomatoes, in the barn.  Had to go back and forth carrying it to the car, as I couldn't take it all at once.
After completing that, I drove to a parking place closer, but not that close, to the picking area, carrying six pint and quart containers, two canvas bags and a plastic carryall. Laboriously picked raspberries, string beans, sunflowers, and three additional kinds of tomatoes and, finally finished, loaded everything into the car, and drove off.
About a mile from my friend's house, the temperature gauge on the dashboard lit up.  Pulled into a garage and, after consulting with this person and that, mechanic said there was probably a hole in the water place or something, it would cost three hundred dollars to fix, and it couldn't be done that day.  He put water in and didn't recommend driving it, but I certainly wasn't going to stay there, so drove to my friend's, unloaded and divided up the produce, and uneasily drove home.
Luckily, the gauge has stayed off.  However, now I have a dilemma: tomorrow is the big flea market day at which I'm going to sell mountains of treasures and make piles of dough.  I naturally have to have my car to get the stuff there and back--luckily, it's only about three miles away--and I'm worried about the car.  All right, this morning, I'll take it to the mechanic Dennis R. recommended and proceed from there.
To brighten up the day, I finally connected with brother Frank, who had called several times. He recommended the movie, Calvary, which looks intriguing, and the writings of a particular Catholic columnist, which doesn't.  Also set up a lunch date for next week with friend, Pat R., at good ol' Sacco Subs in Absecon; looking forward to that.  
  

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...