Wednesday, September 17, 2014

LBI and Blood-Drenched Monsters

A very pleasant day.  Picked Aline up at our usual 12:30 and drove to Long Beach Island.  I was a bit nervous about the car, as now it's started to make a kind of tapping or knocking.  However, it ran all right and I take it to the garage today.
We had intended to go to the German restaurant on Bonnet Island, but I missed the turn (you have to veer off the causeway and go under an overpass).  Continued on and decided on Buckalew's, not one of my favorite places, but it was okay.  Had a long, leisurely lunch--for me, a club sandwich and a Blue Moon--then drove to the Beach Haven library, our intended destination.
It's very small and charming, in an old house (1904), replete with brick floors, comfortable chairs, and a kind of mezzanine upstairs where non-fiction is housed.  I've been wanting to read Blink for some time, found it on a shelf, and started it while there.  Aline did the same with another find.  We stayed about an hour, then went to check out our books, but the very friendly librarian--or clerk--told us this library is not in the Ocean County system--darn!  Had to put our treasures back.
Of course, I then drove down to Holgate, a favorite scenic spot of ours at the very end of the island.  I took dozens of pictures of the rolling waves and Atlantic City far across the water--what a joy to be by the ocean.  Back in Little Egg, we stopped at our library to request the books above, then at Wal-Green's before taking A. home.
Got a call from Betty while I was making dinner and we had a nice chat.
Desi e-mailed me to the effect that he got the script for The Shadow I had sent him.  He liked it and asked if I would direct.  Hmm...I'm flattered, but I'll have to think about it.  I've never directed anything except my own stuff and I'm not sure I want to ride herd over our members, some of whom are convinced they're Little Egg's answer to Lunt and Fontanne.  I'll read the script over and see who I can cast in which roles, then decide.
WIDER:  Gee, it's good we have a two-party system, so we can decide which blood-drenched monster to put in office next:
http://www.chris-floyd.com/

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...