Monday, September 01, 2014

Getting Rid and Our Barbarians

(Too bad the above doesn't read, "Getting Rid of Our Barbarians," but then, who would run the country?)
The beds are gone.  A very pleasant and friendly family--youngish couple and four gorgeous adopted children, ages 2, 3, 4, and 5 came, as promised, at 2:00.  Dawn, with whom I had dealt on the phone, had said she would take only the mattresses (the price was the same), but when she saw the bed clothes, decided she wanted them, too.
Good.  I didn't really want to have to store, then somehow dispose of two each of sheets, blankets (pure wool), bedspreads, pillows, shams, and skirts, not to mention two bed frames.
After they left, I vacuumed, then laboriously got the maple bench that had been in my room into the former guest room.  I plan to put the love seat in the study there, too, as it opens into a bed.
I forced myself to start going over the pictures in one--just one--of the ten or twelve shoebox-sized plastic containers that are filled with them.  It was grueling: they were all mixed together, covered a number of years, and there are just too many. I was so frustrated I began to simply save or throw them away sort of arbitrarily.  Once you start discarding, it gets easier, but it was still tough.  I actually had to force myself not to go back in the trash and reexamine what I had thrown out.  Luckily, I talked myself out of that insanity.
Got more "stuff" out of the drawers of the "lady desk," then photographed and added it to Facebook.  Will put it on Craig's List today.
Somebody called about 5:00 to say she was interested in the armoire.  She has a summer place in Tuckerton, but was leaving shortly for her year-round home.  Asked if she could get it in her car by herself until I explained that it's more than four feet high and wide, and very heavy.  Said she'd like to come see it last evening and would call beforehand, but she never did, so I assume she isn't interested.
In the meantime, though, I cleared out the drawers and bookcase that are part of the armoire.  I now have the stuff--an enormous amount of it--strewed over the dining room.
But that's okay. If I'm serious about moving--and I am--I have to get rid of most of my stuff, anyway.  Today, I'll face it with a groan, but I'll face it.
Finally steeled myself to watch me in Hedda Gabler and incredibly, was pleasantly surprised.  I opened Act I and also Act 1V and really, wasn't half bad.  Director Desi had me so demoralized and so convinced I stank on stage, I had to force myself look at it.  Well, I'm glad I did; Meryl Streep may not be quaking in her boots, but I can see some areas of improvement, I wasn't bad, not bad at all, sez I.
Watched Tony and the Heiress again, too, and reveled in the laughs I got.   
WIDER:  
No need for anything but a dazed sigh, after reading the following from Anti-War.com, quoting from The New York Times, then commenting:
"The rebels who killed (the American) were fighting for the Free Syrian Army, a rival group backed by the United States, and they went on to behead six ISIS fighters...."
Yes, these are the "moderate" Syrian rebels, backed by your tax dollars and the prestige of the United States government. Oh, but don’t worry, kids: they’re our barbarians – so beheading is okay, even praiseworthy, since they’re doing it on behalf of spreading "freedom" and "democracy."
The rest: 
http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2014/08/31/hoaxes-hype-and-hysteria/


No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...